Thursday, March 8, 2012

Twisted Bottle





Alright, fine. It wasn't really a challenge so much as it was a friendly request. Ross over at http://blog.tinyenormous.com, whom I recently met at a local meetup posted:

"right now I'm failing at printing the twisted bottle. I got a sample from stratasys and I'm looking to see how close I can get. I can crush it on layer height, but it's super blobby right now. Team Mendemax: want to show me how it's done ; ) ?"

Sounds good to me. I hadn't tried to print the twisted bottle yet, although I had seen it on thingiverse. This one was printed at 0.2mm layer height and 0.5mm extrusion width. Observant readers will note that I'm still missing an occasional y step. The other day we talked at length about the problem in #MendelMax irc. My y assembly is too heavy and the inertia causes the y motor to miss steps during quick direction changes. I'll drop my jerk settings down to prevent the misses but ultimately there are two main problems: My y assembly needs to be lighter. And, I bought the wrong motors (2.4A). Below, find a couple of photos of the print.




Also, speaking of Ross, he recently discovered what makes my MendelMax so quiet. Hint: Apparently the feet make a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment